The Pantanal has few people and no towns and is the world’s largest wetland covers some 210,000 sq km. Distances are so great and ground transport so poor that people get around in small airplanes and motorboats. These open marshes are home to an immense variety of life - if you like to see animals in their natural environment, the Pantanal is an unmissable destination.Located in the heart of South America
It is considered a World Heritage Site. The Pantanal has a diverse aquatic animal life; hundreds of different fish guarantee a rich bird population (more than 600 species live in the area). There is also a huge population of reptiles and mammals such as: caimans, capybaras, monkeys, ocelot, jaguars, armadillos, coatis and anteaters. The Pantanal goes through three cycles every year that changes its landscape. They are: Rainy or Flood season, “Vazante” (intermediate season), dry season.
Arrive at Campo Grande airport and transfer to Pantanal by car (245 km – approximately 3h30min).
Transfers to/from the Fazenda; The road access is by BR 262, a federal highway that links Brazil to Bolivia. The farm is 236 km (147 miles – 3h30) far from the capital of Mato Grosso do Sul state (Campo Grande), and 36 km (22 miles – 30min.) from Miranda city – towards Bolivia. During the trip, one can see Maracaju Mountains, a wonderful landscape. The ride takes about 3h30 minutes. The check-in at the lodge begins at 04PM and the check-out must be until 01:30PM. The lodge is closed from 10PM until 6AM. Night activity. Overnight Fazenda Sao Francisco and dinner (included).
About Fazenda Sao Francisco - is located in the Southern Pantanal, featuring a large variety of fauna and flora and introducing you to the real operation of a farm: cultivation, production and chores, walking together with the concern of environmental conservation. With 18 apartments this farm can host up to 60 people on basic accommodation with fan, air conditioning and Pantanal hosting style.
Activities available during your stay
- Fishing for piranhas and visit the Centennial Fig Tree - During the dry season, it is possible to walk on a trail in the gallery forest of Corixo and discover the typical vegetation of this forest. Trees like strangling fig tree, white fig tree, bacuri palm tree, piuva, angico and also several lianas can be seen. Included in all packages.
- Photo Safari in Open car and Carandas´s trail (Approximately 3hs) - The Photo Safari is done in the area of forest reserve and rice fields of the farm. In this tour it is possible to see local fauna like marsh deer’s, capybaras, caimans and many birds as the jabiru stork – bird symbol of the Pantanal. With luck you might see anteaters, tapirs and even the majestic jaguar. During the safari you will be able to walk on a suspended trail built in the gallery Forest of Miranda River. This walk lasts around 20 minutes. It is possible to visualize the encounter of the waters of Corixo São Domingos and Miranda River. Included in all packages.
- Night Expedition - in search for wildlife (Approximately 2h30min) - One can find in the Pantanal great diversity of animals with nocturnal feeding habits. Animals like crab-eating foxes, ocelots (very common), tapirs, caimans, capybaras, deers, owls, nighthawks, and the beautiful jaguar (with luck). During the night, the strong light used to spot the animals reflects in their eyes. We travel through the rice fields (good place to spot mammals) and the forested areas. During the dry season (usually between July and October), it is possible to traverse the beautiful area of Corixo Seco, which has an intact and dense forest. Our cars were specially built for this trip. They are mounted in Toyota Pick-ups equipped with seats in three different levels to facilitate the visualisation of animals by everyone in the car. The guides that take you in this tour are very well trained to search for animals at night. Included in all packages.
- Horseback riding in Brazilian Savannah and Pantanal (Approximately 2h30min) - The horseback riding is one of our most interesting tours because you can get to know the Pantanal like the “pantaneiros” (local people), on top of a horse! Our horses are tame and used to the easy walk of the trip that aims at searching for animals. In this tour, the pantaneiros guides, carry in their saddlebag the tereré – typical drink of the region – similar to the hot mate, but with cold water. There are different places where one can ride in the farm. Savannah, wetlands (depending on the season) and also you might join the work of the cowboys (available according to the type of work they are doing). Important to bring long pants. Included in all packages.
- Canoeing in Corixo São Domingos (Approximately 2h30min) - The canoe trip is great for silence, tranquility and peace. The tour starts at the Fazenda headquarters from where you walk to get at the Corixo’s deck where you will get a canoe. The guides are trained to give you all the information you need to have a nice and safe trip. After the instructions, you just have to relax and enjoy, paddling along the calm waters of the Corixo. There is no need of special training to take part on this tour. Included in all packages.
- Video and Lecture about Pantanal (Approximately 2h) - In this activity the tourist learns about the geography, history and hydrography of the Pantanal. The fauna, flora and the farm scientific projects are also presented to you. The video made by the cinematographers Lawrence Wahba and Haroldo Palo Jr, contains interesting information and images about the water’s cycle. Included in all packages.
- Barbecue at Corixo’s Hill (Approximately 3h) - This hill is located close to the farm’s headquarters. It is a pleasant option for those who want to become a guest and enjoy the night in the silence of the Pantanal. The barbecue is done on top of the hill. With a fire to make you feel cozy and with the stories of Mr. Cassimiro the night becomes really nice. Dinner is served together with the barbecue at the hill. Sometimes the barbecue turns into a ball party! Included in all packages, according to the will and quantity of the group.
- Milking the Cows (Approximately 40 min) - This activity starts at 4h30 in the morning! The guide takes the group to the corral of the farm to see the handling of the dairy cows. Usually, this tour is associated to the horseback riding. After milking the cows, you will return to the headquarters for the quebra torto (typical breakfast of the Pantanal) and to the next activity. Included in all packages, according to the will of the group.
- War Canoe Tour (Approximately 2h) - It’s a new tour with capacity for 11 people plus the guide. The canoe travels through Corixo São Domingos’s waters. The curious caimans pass by side by side the canoe, and several birds also join the adventure. Even the jaguar might show up. It’s a ride for all the ages and can last around 2 hours. Included in the 3 nights package or longer.
- Interpretative Walk on Vazante’s Trail with a Watch Tower (Approximately 3 hours) - In the morning you will leave at 7h00 and in the afternoon at 15h30 in a car to start the interpretative walk on the Vazante’s Trail. We traverse areas of vazantes (drainage of the water in the wet season) and reserve forests of the farm. The trail is built on stilts so one can use it all year long. Many birds, marsh deer, anacondas and other animals can show up during the walk. At the end of this runway there is a watch tower 10 m high (30 feet) where you can have a nice view of the beautiful landscape. Included in the 3 nights package or longer.
Note: The order of the tours above is defined by the lodge, that will hand in the schedule of the activities upon guest arrival. Guests with pick-up at the airport between 11am and 2pm will not be able to attend the afternoon tour of the first day.
Estância Mimosa – 4h – 6h
Estância Mimosa is a mix of stunning and preserved nature and safety. Offers an authentic ecotourism experience. Member of the ‘Tour Experience’, a Brazilian Project which recognizes companies able to inspire and well serve the guests. Main tour: trail and waterfalls. An interpretive trail inside the forest stopping at eight cascades, where you can swim in natural pools. There are changing rooms in the reception area. Along the way, there are small caves, a paddling boat ride and belvederes with good view of the Mountain Range. Included: Transportation in a nice vehicle with air-conditioning and a certified driver, entrance fee, lunch with dishes and dessert prepared in wooden stove, life jacket and English-speaking guide.
Recanto Ecologico Rio Da Prata – 4h – 5h
In the Recanto Ecologico Rio da Prata a gentle stream leads visitor quietly for a ride on a fantastic underwater world, inhabited by dozens of species of fish and aquatic plants. You'll find yourself surrounded by several species of fish in the Pantanal, besides spotting other species of animals and birds (more than 200 on the records). Snorkeling and scuba diving in Bonito and Jardim are extraordinary and impress the transparency of water and the rich biodiversity of the Pantanal. There are changing rooms in the reception area.
Included: Transportation in a nice vehicle with air-conditioning and a certified driver, entrance fee, lunch with local dishes and, life jacket and English-speaking guide.
Sugarloaf (396 metres) - Trademark of Rio de Janeiro, the Sugar Loaf Mountain has a privileged location in the city. In the first part of the cable-car ride you can see the entire Guanabara Bay, Corcovado and Rio-Niteroi Bridge. In the second part of the cable-car ride you can see, in a unique perspective, the beach of Copacabana, Santa Cruz Fortress and some beaches of Niterói in fantastic scenery!
Optional: Hiking towards Urca Hill (220m). We walk by Cláudio Coutinho way and take the trail to reach the Urca Hill. The first step is steep and the trail takes about 40 min. It can be decided locally and will reduce the time up there but will avoid queuing for the cable car. No extra cost. *Moderate level
Ved skriftlig aksept av vårt tilbud bekrefter du/dere at våre betingelser er både lest og forstått og at evt kansellerings gebyrer kan tilkomme ved en evt. avbestilling av reisen.